Sunday, February 12, 2012

Libby-In Loving Memory-1998-2012

Mac and I have lost another beloved member of our family this past week.  Libby passed away peacefully on February 5.  Mac and Libby were littermates we adopted from a family in Hull.  Her mother was a champion Shar-pei and her father a black lab from the neighborhood.  The owner of the pups wanted to get rid of them as fast as she could, Probably because they left a black mark on the status of her pooch!!  We arrived at the Hull house with the intention of only getting 1 pup.  There was a child's blow up wading pool full of puppies.  Mac had already stolen my heart, but Ben wanted the runt female and that just happened to be Lib.  So it was decided they were both coming home with us, looking back I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Libby was named on New Year's Eve.  I was watching Time Square and they showed a shot of the statue of Liberty, (Liberty was almost her name!)
Our sweet little pup who looked like a pot belly pig (and remained a strange but cute looking dog her whole life) had to have an "eye lift" to correct the many folds of skin around her eyes, very common with the Shar-pei breed.  So our "free" puppy cost us over $500 the first week!
Libby was the instigator of all trouble.  Early one morning, Libby (she was about 9 months old) caught and killed a skunk right at the front door of the house!  Ben, (only wearing a pair of slippers I might add, luckily we lived in the woods) beating the skunk over the head with a broom, while Mac stood barking his head off a safe distance away (pretty smart on his part!) and I from the window.  We all smelled like skunk for weeks!!  If there was a snake Libby had to have it.  She and Romy (the barn cat) were a tag team when it came to catching critters.  Romy bringing the prey home, Libby safely burying it in the yard, guarding it and growling at Mac whenever he came near. (Then I would follow up and clean up when Libby wasn't looking)  She had to be front and center for anything going on.  She became my shadow, always on my heels and my loyal devoted buddy.  When we first opened Summer Gardens, Libby found it hard to let anyone in "her" barn, but as the years went by she was a permanent fixture sitting in the sun greeting the customers as they came in.  I could spend a couple of hours across the street, look out the window and there would be Libby sitting like a statue patiently waiting for me to come home.  She kept track of all of our animals (earning her the nickname of Old Mother Hubbard) If a kitty wanted in the house or up from the basement, Libby would pester you until you figured out what she wanted, only settling down after everyone was accounted for.  She loved her "kitty friends".
I found out Libby was sick shortly after Ben died and I am grateful for the last few months we had with her. Mac and I know she arrived safely in heaven and she isn't sick anymore.  There is another huge void in my life and Mac's too.  I tell Mac everyday we're going to be okay.  I take comfort in knowing Libby is with Ben and they are watching over us.  She will always be loved and in my heart forever.


Libby with her buddy Annie






Libby on planting day

What a big help!

Note:Romy in the dog bed and Libby curled up in the cat bed

Took her awhile to get situated in this bed!
One of my last pictures of Libby, cleaning house!

1 comment:

Delia said...

Oh, this makes me cry. What a sweet, goofy girl Libby was, . . . your girl! I know how much you miss her. She was lucky to have such a great life with Mac, you, Ben and her cat siblings. Thanks for sharing these photos.
Hugs to you and Mac.
xox,
Cordelia